[imp] Re: IMP authentication and email access very slow

Gavin Kelman gavin.kelman at uk.lionbioscience.com
Fri Feb 11 08:06:24 PST 2005

Gavin Kelman wrote:
> I've been running Horde 3.0.2 and IMP-h3-4.0.1 for about a week now,
> with Apache 1.3.33 with mod_ssl against OpenSSL 0.9.7e. The IMAP
> server is Cyrus, running on another machine. IMP worked fine for a
> few days, everything nice and fast, no complaints.

[snip]

Some more information:

I downloaded the latest IMP 4.0.2-RC1 and have got the same symptoms.

To help diagnose the problem, I ran ethereal against the IMAP
traffic and saw a 14 second delay from our IMAP server returning the
list of folders. Quite why that is, I've no idea, and it doesn't
seem to be happening any other mail client.

Is there a way to enable debugging in IMP so that I can see
_exactly_ what's going on with IMP <-> IMAP server communication?

With the Horde authentication set to use IMP as the authentication
method, logins take about 15-30 seconds. With Horde set to use the
IMAP server directly, logins take about 0.5 seconds. If I then go
to IMP and login again, it take 15-30 seconds to login.

With either authentication method set, _most_ of the time, once
logged in, selecting other folders and viewing messages is very
fast now (I've also enabled folder caching), but 5% or so of the
time, selecting a different mail folder takes a good 5-30 seconds
to change.

I even tried rebooting the machine running Apache and Horde, as
well as up'ing the PHP.ini memory usage to 64M, and still no
difference.

All the time, our IMAP server is responding fine to normal users
and running at a load of 0.

Cheers,
Gavin.

--