[imp] addReceivedHeader() and blacklists

Christopher Murtagh christopher.murtagh at mcgill.ca
Mon Mar 7 10:18:34 PST 2005

Greetings,

 I would like to make a feature request that was made once in the past
and rejected:

http://lists.horde.org/archives/imp/Week-of-Mon-20030721/034014.html

Here's why:

 I'm running IMP as an added value service for my virtual host clients.
So far, they are all very happy with it. I'm also running Amavis and
ClamAV for anti-spam and anti-virus protection. The problem with the
addReceivedHeader() function is that Amavis now thinks that the email is
originating from the client IP when in reality it's not. So, if the
client sends from a DSL account (which are often blacklisted) Amavis
will block their email.

 So, for me, the solution was simple, I just commented out the
'$msg_headers->addReceivedHeader();' line in compose.php. Having it as a
configuration option would be nice, especially for users that aren't
comfortable tinkering with code.

 The response about it breaking some RFC:

http://lists.horde.org/archives/imp/Week-of-Mon-20030721/034020.html

I think isn't appropriate as most webmail providers today don't add the
first header claiming that the HTTP client was the sender (with the
notable exception of GMail which doesn't put sender IP in the headers at
all). Instead they use something like 'X-Originating-IP', which of
course is a configuration option for IMP. So, I'm not sure why IMP
offers the latter but still forces the former.

 Sorry if this has been hashed out in previous discussions, this was the
only reference I could find of it in the list archives.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Christopher Murtagh