[imp] Re: addReceivedHeader() and blacklists

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Mar 7 11:16:02 PST 2005

Christopher Murtagh wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>  I would like to make a feature request that was made once in the past
> and rejected:
>
> http://lists.horde.org/archives/imp/Week-of-Mon-20030721/034014.html

There was discussion about something similar on the mailing list about a
month ago.  Search list archives for thread with "Configurable Received:
header behavior" subject line.  There's also pointer to one previous
discussion about this topic somewhere inthere.

In short:

Bug is in the way SpamAssassin parses Received headers.  There's nothing
wrong with IMP's Received header.  Most ISPs will add Received header
containing client's IP address.  For example, my ISP (Shaw Cable) is
doing that, and I haven't had any problems with it.  Almost all other
webmail applications and webmail portals I'm aware of will add client's
IP address in first Received header.

IMO, instead of "fixing" IMP (and all other webmail and MTA
applications) to work in non-RFC compliant way, SpamAssassin should be
fixed.

If you need quick workaround without changing IMP's source, it was also
discussed in mentioned thread.