[imp] Re: Extremely weird IMAP behaviour - IMP or c-client problem?

Eli eli-list at experthost.com
Mon Mar 21 09:02:48 PST 2005

Joseph wrote:
> <eli-list at experthost.com> wrote:
>
> > 0 LIST "" INBOX/%
> > * LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
> > 0 OK LIST completed.
>
> The command above makes sense if the previous exchange was something
> like this:
>
> a LIST "" %
> * LIST "/" INBOX
> a OK LIST completed

Close, but not quite:

LIST "" %
LSUB "" *
LIST "" INBOX/%

Here's an entire set of logs.  There are a few sessions here - the first one
was a successful login, but it seems it didn't fetch anything at all.  Then
there were a few other logins (some failed ones too but oddly they do NOT
show up in the logs - it's like the attemt never even hit the IMAP server).

I get the looping whenever I try to manage folders - and you know what, I
remember this being a problem on my old IMP 2.2 install - I always thought
it was an IMP bug, but maybe it's c-client with SmartMax.

www.hoktar.com/tests/smartmax.log

> This response does not say "\NoInferiors", so INBOX can contain other
> mailboxes, and it does say "/", so the delimiter is a "/"
> sign.  If so, it is reasonable to ask LIST "" INBOX/% to see what's
> under INBOX.

Ok :)  I have no idea what's correct for IMAP aside from how to login and
logout.

> The response though does not make sense.  If the delimiter is "/"
> one time then it should not be NIL the next time.  The rest of it
> appears to say that there is a mailbox named INBOX that does not
> contain other mailboxes, under the first mailbox named INBOX.

That's very odd - I don't have any folders inside/below INBOX.  There's the
INBOX, and other folders along side it.  On the actual file server however,
the INBOX contains all the other folders.  Like I said though, I wouldn't be
surprised if this is a bug in SmartMax.

> Even though this is bizarre, I still don't see why IMP loops.  I would
> expect IMP to show you that you have mailboxes INBOX and INBOX/INBOX
> and stop there.

Not if it keeps returning something that says it's got a folder under it?
As far as I can tell, SmartMax continually replies back saying INBOX has a
sub folder or whatever...

> So anyway what really does LIST "" % return?

0 LIST "" %
* LIST () "/" "Trash"
* LIST () "/" "Sent"
* LIST () "/" "Junk E-mail"
* LIST () "/" "Drafts"
* LIST () "/" "Sent Items"
* LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
0 OK LIST completed.
0 LIST "" INBOX/%
* LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
0 OK LIST completed.
0 LIST "" Trash/%
* LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
0 OK LIST completed.
0 LIST "" Drafts/%
* LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
0 OK LIST completed.

Is that weird?  I would *think* so - no I dea why it advertises the INBOX
when I'm asking about other folders... but I don't know IMAP that well :)

If you have any more ideas, shoot them to me.  In the mean time, I am
thinking *maybe* this has something to do with SSL support in c-client
possibly.  I am going to compile a new c-client without SSL support, and
compile a new PHP and see how that fairs.  I know SmartMax IMAP doesn't do
SSL, and a connection type of "imap" or "imap/notls" both seem to work fine,
but the fact that some login attempts don't even get recorded make me think
that maybe c-client is having problems talking to SmartMax due to SSL
negotiations.

Eli.