[imp] Apache server eating up CPU time

Jochen Roderburg Roderburg at Uni-Koeln.DE
Thu Mar 24 02:35:19 PST 2005

Since two days we have a strange problem here with our IMP installation.

The installation as such is running unchanged in its present from since about
the beginning of the year without special problems.

But now suddenly we observe an increasing number of Apache server processes
which seem to do nothing else than consuming CPU time. These keep on running
until we kill them separately or restart the whole server. We did a little
tracing and debugging which showed they do not do any system calls but loop
somewhere in the PHP module. They seem to be connected to PHP sessions which
are not closed regularily.

Has anybody seen such a problem before or has any ideas where to look?

Involved system and program versions:

Redhat Linux AS3

self-compiled LAMP programs:
Apache 2.0.52
PHP 4.3.9
MySql 4.0.21

IMP/Horde versions:
Horde 2.2.7
IMP 3.2.6
Turba 1.2.2

Jochen Roderburg
ZAIK/RRZK
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10                 Tel.:   +49-221/478-7024
D-50931 Koeln                       E-Mail: Roderburg at rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE
Germany