[imp] Re: Apache server eating up CPU time

Jochen Roderburg Roderburg at Uni-Koeln.DE
Fri Mar 25 02:04:17 PST 2005

Zitat von Jigish Gohil <jigish.gohil at gmail.com>:

> Now that you mention it, I have seen several (about 10 of them)httpd
> processes running simultaneously on a server that doesnt have horde
> installation and nothing that uses php and about 8 on a server with
> horde installation.So it seems its got nothing to do with php or
> horde.
> No idea if it is normal behaviour. Restarting apache does reduce them.

Well, it *is* normal that several httpd processes are running. And normally they
are reused for new requests coming in. But those that we observe here are no
longer used for anything, they are just spinning in some sort of loop and
consuming CPU time. Over the time more and more of them come up until someone
gets nervous and kills them ;-). Actually a few of them do not disturb the rest
of the system, they just use the CPU time left from other programs, but I think
if eventually several hundreds of them are there, there will be a real problem.

And yes, I know, this is not a IMP problem per se, but we have it here only with
a Apache server where IMP/Horde are running exclusively, and I thought maybe
some other IMP installation has it also.
I have also already looked in mailing lists (archives) about
Apache/PHP/IMP/Horde, but found nothing similar.
The strange thing is that it suddenly started two days ago on a machine where
nothing was changed and does not disappear again. Of course it is possible that
it is an error which has been there from the beginning and comes up now because
something has changed somewhere else.

Regards, J.Roderburg