[imp] Hanging on redirect.php due to overlong URL (+165 chars) in IE

Eli eli-list at experthost.com
Mon Mar 28 15:22:04 PST 2005

I have apparently discovered (not that nobody else may have already known
this) that IE (6, latest w/patches in WinXP) is apparently exhibiting a 165
character limit when using a Refresh: header

In redirect.php, I modified line 170 from:

header('Refresh: 0; URL=' . $url);

to:

header('Location: ' . $url);

and it seems to have fixed a problem I was experiencing.  The problem was
that if if the URL was longer than 165 characters, IE would not honor the
Refresh: header and just hang.  Once using the Location: header, IE
redirects properly and functions fine.

Apparently the Refresh: header is used to avoid warnings in IE when using
the "login with SSL" feature or whatever, so my question is... Why are all
the credentials such as username, server, etc... All passed back via GET if
such a limit could be hit rather easily.  On one account, I was merely 10 or
so characters away from hitting this problem - and I know there are domains
with much longer names than mine.

It would require a substantial change I think, but could all the server info
be saved in the $_SESSION info instead?  Has anyone else had this problem?

Eli.