[imp] Re: IMP 4.X, compose window addressbook source question

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Wed Mar 30 09:18:03 PST 2005

Well, in our case, we are a regional service organization, across a two county
area.  We employ teachers, which may reside in one of our many buildings, or
they may reside in any of the buildings within the 22 school districts we
serve.  We maintain a centralized directory of our employees, as well as for
many of the 22 districts.  Logical addressbooks would be broken down by school
district, with the thought being that if Teacher A works in School District X,
they could set their default addressbooks to our corporate directory for
internal email, and School District X's addressbook for communication within
that district, and a local, personal addressbook.  In my opinion, they should
not have to wade through 22 addressbooks to find the two they are
interested in
on the contacts search screen thats invoked from the compose window.

Tab autoexpansion and Expand Names work fine if you can get the people
that are
inputting items to be searched for to enter specific enough information so you
return mostly unique results.  But most people here are accustomed to looking
through an addressbook and selecting people to send or CC messages to, and
pointing and clicking on the addresses they want.  Having just the
addressbooks
that you care about available to you, and defaulting to the one you
search most
often would be a big improvement in my opinion.

Kevin

> Quoting Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:
>
>> I think it should be changed.  The current code seems to totally ignore my
>> search_sources preferences and reads in _all_ available addressbooks
>
> Right. search_sources is for auto-expansion. This lets you search
> anything. Not sure why you'd want to make large LDAP directories that
> you don't want to search automatically unavailable here.
>
> I'm inclined to just list directories in their regular order and not
> muck with preferences here - none of the current preferences are really
> relevant.
>
> -chuck
>
> --
> "But she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy." - John
> Quincy Adams

Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator
Lancaster-Lebanon Intermediate Unit 13