[imp] S/MIME importing private keys

Reuben Farrelly reuben-imp at reub.net
Thu Mar 31 05:21:19 PST 2005

Hi,

I've spent the best part of the evening trying to figure out how to
import my personal digital certificate into my profile in Imp, but
had no joy.  I am using -CVS, and I am all synced and up to date with
the repository.

I've ticked the box for S/MIME support, and certainly mails that come
in are being checked and marked as signed, and have read the help
files all around the S/MIME area.  I can also add certificates to the
address book for users (there is a link for "Import public key" in
the S/MIME options).  However there is no option at all to add my own
private certificates.  I was expecting this to be near "Your S/MIME
Public/Private Certificates" - and logically thought it would be a
separate option to the public certificates.

If I create a new mail and tick the option of signing it, I get asked
for a passphrase, but no passphrase I have tried actually is
accepted.  I've tried importing all manner of keys into the public
store but to no avail..

What am I missing here?

Reuben