[imp] Re: Charset problems

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Wed Apr 13 20:42:59 PDT 2005

Quoting Joaquim Machado <joaquim.machado at ine.pt>:

> What puzzles me, is that in the same system (same httpd; php; etc.)
> with prior
> versions of Horde/Imp, I don't have that problem. I only got this
> problem with
> the new versions of Horde/Imp.

Probably because the old versions of Horde/IMP were sending out the
pages with the character set used by your browser which, lucky enough,
happened to be the character set of the message that was sent.
Therefore, it would display correctly.

In newer Horde/IMP, I believe we render pages in UTF-8 if the browser
supports it.  Therefore, since the text of the message is in a
different charset (i.e. iso-8859-1), it is not converted to UTF-8 and
you will see garbage for 8bit characters.

michael