[imp] Re: IMAP messages not displaying in IMP

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Wed Apr 13 23:28:07 PDT 2005

Quoting Eli <eli-list at experthost.com>:

> Michael wrote:
>> Then it is just possible that the mailbox is so big and your IMAP
>> server and/or network connection to the server is so slow that
>> accessing the mailbox is causing a timeout.  Raise the PHP session
>> timeout value if this is becoming a problem.
>
> It is a very big mailbox, and it would probably take 20 minutes for IMP to
> generate a listing, however that's not what is happening.  IMP doesn't
> generate any errors at all through PHP.  The script doesn't time out or get
> killed for running too long.  From the time I click on the INBOX, to the
> time it displays no messages (literally says no messages in INBOX), no more
> than ~10 seconds pass.  I have session timeouts in PHP set to 900 seconds
> and in IMP it's set to 0.  All other timeouts I have set anywhere that I can
> see are no less than 300 seconds.  If anything, I would imagine IMP should
> run at least 5 minutes trying to make a list, stop or something and then at
> least render what it parsed.  Instead though, just a matter of seconds and
> nothing displayed (not to mention it seems to be crashing the IMAP service,
> but I'd be more inclined to bet that on the IMAP server being dumb than
> IMP).
>
> I'll run tcpdump while trying this out to see if anything non-standard might
> be going on.

It's possible that the large mailbox (or a message inside that mailbox)
is causing the IMAP *server* to die.  This would result in no
information being displayed about the mailbox in IMP, and explain why
you are not seeing a segfault in the PHP server (since it is processing
the information it is receiving back from the IMAP server correctly).

michael