[imp] IMP + Exchange

Rafael Varela Pet srrafa at usc.es
Wed Jun 8 01:09:25 PDT 2005

Hi,

> Subject: [imp] IMP + Exchange
>
> I'm new to IMP so this is probably a dumb question but anyway does anyone know if it possible to integrate IMP with
>  an existing Exchange environment?
>
> What I want to do is to have my existing MS Exchange 2003
> SMTP box continue to to send mail but have IMP instead of OWA handle all the
> web mail side of things.

Yes it's possible. We are using IMP and turba with an Exchange 2000
server.

IMP talks to Exchange through its IMAP interface and Turba uses LDAP to
search contacts in the active directory. Also we use the password module
to change passwords in the windows domain using the samba backend.

You can find some problems if you have a complex Exchange setup
(multiple servers, multiple message stores, etc.) In some cases, it
seems that the IMAP client its unable to locate the mailbox (I'm not
sure, but I think that the IMAP client library it's unable to track the
IMAP referral given by exchange or Exchange only provides that kind of
information though MAPI).

Regards,

Rafael Varela Pet
Area de Tecnoloxías da Información e Comunicacións

Universidade de Santiago de Compostela
15782 Santiago de Compostela
http://www.usc.es/saus