[imp] Sluggish horde/imp

Benoit St-Andre ben at benoitst-andre.net
Tue Jun 21 12:54:28 PDT 2005

Le mar, jun 21, 2005 at 01:39:11 -0600, Kevin Konowalec a écrit:
> I'm got an IBM 325E server running OpenBSD with the latest releases
> of Horde and Imp.  Cyrus mailserver.  There's lots of memory and lots
> of disk.  The mcrypt extension is enabled in php.ini and the garbage
> collection is set to be 1/100 probability.  Right now we're in pre-
> production mode and only have a handful of concurrent users but
> things are incredibly sluggish.  I've tried moving sessions from an
> external MySQL backend to local PHP default sessions with zero
> effect.  Logging on initially takes upwards of 40 seconds to get to
> my inbox.  Is there any place I should be looking for obvious
> performance boosts?

All the time I had those kind of problems, wrong or incomplete dns
information was the key factor. Make sure everything is well in order
(information in /etc/hosts , correct dns resolution in /etc/resolv.conf,
etc). Often, we use IP adresses instead of domain names, but it's easy to
forget that a lot of processes in linux do dns query and reverse dns query
in the first time. When you add this effect on a small number of users,
that caused (for us at least) some delays of the same kind that you are
telling.

--
Benoit St-André
ben at benoitst-andre.net