[imp] Cannot enter PGP password

Klaus Uhl klaus at u-h-l.de
Thu Jun 23 05:17:57 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I want to use message signing/encryption with IMP. For the S/MIME part
everything works perfectly. I uploaded my certificate, I can enter my
certificate password and I can sign and encrypt messages.

But I have problems with PGP. I was able to upload my keypair but when
I enter the passphrase I get the response "Invalid passphrase entered."
and the Apache log contains the following lines:

gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=0a)
gpg: read_block: read error: invalid packet
gpg: import from `[stdin]' failed: invalid keyring
gpg: klaus at u-h-l.de: skipped: public key not found
gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: public key not found

I had a quick look onto the IMP source and found out that validating
the entered password is a two-step process. First a test message is
encrypted with the public key and second the encrypted test message is
decrypted with the secret key and the entered password. The Apache log
suggests that it is _not_ my password which is wrong but the test
message cannot be encrypted.

Does anyone have a clue what might go wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

- Klaus

--

                 Keiner ist so verrückt, dass er nicht einen
     noch Verrückteren findet, der ihn versteht. \|/ ____ \|/