[imp] Imp+sorting=terrible slow down

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Thu Jun 23 07:27:25 PDT 2005

Quoting Joe7 <rrcomp at hotmail.com>:

> Hello Experts,
> I just realized that my problem with mailboxes -which has more then
> 10.000mails in inbox-,
> IS sorting.

Sorting 10,000 messages on any server is going to take a substantial
amount of time.  As you have noted, this has absolutely nothing to do
with IMP.

> (if I disable this in courier imapd config,
> everything goes at lightning speed, login takes <1sec (instead of
> 1MINUTE or failure), and to go to
> the next page in inbox is just about 1sec instead of 30..
> So my question is how to make sorting faster.

How to make sorting faster?  The only surefire solution is to reduce
the number of messages in your mailbox.  Or use the default sorting
algorithim that your underlying mailbox uses (most likely this is
arrival time).

michael