[imp] Configuration problem?

Kevin Konowalec kevin at ualberta.net
Mon Jun 27 08:50:12 PDT 2005

Periodically my server stops responding entirely.  Once I restart it
everything is fine... in my error logs I get:

[Mon Jun 27 09:35:14 2005] [error] mod_ssl: Cannot open
SSLSessionCache DBM file `/var/www/logs/ssl_scache' for writing
(store) (System error follows)
[Mon Jun 27 09:35:14 2005] [error] System: Too many open files
(errno: 24)

This suggests that it's not releasing https sessions and then
eventually just craters when it can't open any more.  Restarting the
web server brings things back to normal.

I wrote a quick little query to see who was connected and for how
long and I see people who have been logged on for like 35 hours.  We
need to have sessions autoexpire after a period of inactivity.  Right
now the performance of this server is abysmal - RIDICULOUSLY slow and
then you have the periodic hanging.

Where can I look to troubleshoot this?  We're supposed to go
production with Imp soon but as it stands I can't recommend that to
my boss.