[imp] newbie questions

pcha@uniting.com.au pcha at uniting.com.au
Tue Jul 5 19:30:50 PDT 2005

Hello knowledgeable colleagues,

I am part way through an installation of horde/imp, on the basis of
"try it and see" if it suits my purposes, have struck some problems.
Rather than burdening you with the problems, I thought I'd firstly
check if someone can advise whether it is likely to suit what I want to
do ... here's the situation.

We have a small home network (currently 3 PCs and a Linux box
acting as router/server/you-name-it) on the end of an ADSL link.
Presently, we run Pegasus Mail as the mail client.  My wife and I
have our own "login" to pmail, and within that user, we have several
identifies set up, and we can collect mail from several (remote) pop3
accounts, and send under any defined identify.  This is useful,
because it aggregates all our mail into a single folder structure.

For our purposes, the above actually works pretty well, except that
there's no remote access, and that would be nice.  So I am basically
looking for a Web-based mail system which will allow us to have
users, and within each user several identities, and each user have
the ability to pull down mail from more than one pop3/imap server.
Ideally, the users themselves would be able to define which servers
and accounts they would pull mail from.  Trying to run a minimalist
system, I don't run sendmail (and I'd prefer to leave it this way) nor
are the "users" on the linux box actually used for any login by a
human.

So ... can someone advise me whether imp can do multiple users,
each with capacity do pull mail from (user defined) mail boxes, and
possibly have more than one identify defined?  Or, if imp can't do it,
does anyone know of a product that can?

I'm basically looking for a "Web replacement" for Pegasus Mail (as
used, with multiple users and identifies) ... any information would be
greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Paul Chandler
pcha at uniting.com.au