[imp] Mail/RFC822 errors on Expand Names

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Tue Jul 5 21:27:39 PDT 2005

Quoting Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:

> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to track down the cause of PHP Notices and
> Warnings, when I
> Expand Names in the IMP compose screen.  I'm only seeing it with the
> FRAMEWORK_3 code (although thats currently a mix of official releases, plus a
> few must-have merges so its entirely possible that its a problem with the
> particular mix of code I'm running).  My HEAD install works just fine.
>
> The problem is that MIME::encodeAddress returns an object (a PEAR
> error) in the
> expandAddresses function in IMP.php.  This triggers Notices and Warnings from
> Mail/RFC822 when validateMailboxes is called, because it expects a string.
> Using the exact same string for expansion, "test_user", with HEAD returns a
> string.
>
> Now I've tried replacing what I thought was the relevant code in the
> code path
> with HEAD code and its still occuring (that would be
> framework/MIME/MIME.php).
> So I'm I could be missing something obvious, or its a problem with
> the merging
> of my current codebase, or there's a bug in FRAMEWORK_3.
>
> So the question is why does MIME::encodeAddress throw a Pear Error with
> FRAMEWORK_3 but return a string with HEAD?

This most likely deals with the issue I brought up with Chuck on the
dev@ list a month or so ago.  Essentially the point was Chuck added
code that fixed some stuff in the MIME:: library, but it breaks bc in
Horde since encodeAddress() now returns something it didn't use to in
previous versions.  And what was decided is breaking bc in this
instance was something that should be done since the old behavior was
broken anyway.

Additionally, you may want to upgrade your Mail PEAR package to the
latest alpha/beta since there has been some bug updates recently added
there that clears up some issues with encoding.  i.e. You probably need
a completely up-to-date version of HEAD or FRAMEWORK_3 (both Horde and
IMP) and the latest pre-release version of Mail before you will see
these errors go away.

michael