[imp] Upgrade to PHP 4.4.0 Horde problem

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Jul 12 07:55:15 PDT 2005

Quoting "Drew J. Como" <dcomo at bascom.com>:

> I upgraded to PHP 4.4.0 this morning and now when
> I access the IMP webmail, I am getting the following
> errors: (Running Horde: 2.2.8 // IMP: 3.2.8)

Shockingly, when you upgrade to a new major version of a piece of
software that breaks backwards compatibility, things will break.

> Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in
> /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/horde/lib/Auth.php on line 80

There are going to be a lot of these. But we will NOT fix them in old
versions. If there is enough time and testing, Horde 3.0.5 will be
clean, and fixes will be made for future FRAMEWORK_3 releases and of
course in HEAD.

If you can't upgrade to the latest releases of Horde and its
applications, you should NOT upgrade PHP. Period.

> If I revert back to the prior version of PHP, it works
> fine.  Is there a known problem between features in Horde
> and the security fixes in the latest version of PHP?

This has NOTHING to do with security. NOTHING.

-chuck

Quincy Adams