[imp] Installed PHP via rpms (fedora core 4) - easy way to upgrade C-client?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Fri Jul 15 08:45:27 PDT 2005

Quoting Graeme Wood <Graeme.Wood at ed.ac.uk>:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Jeffrey Steinbrecher wrote:
>
>> Okay in response to my quieres about missing attachments when using an
>> exchange server for imap on messages sent only for outlook clients (not
>> any other clients including outlook express) I was told to upgrade or
>> downgrade my c-client libraries.
>>

>> is there any way to do this without having to recompile another version
>> of php? Since everything else is working perfectly and its just
>> attachments from Outlook i'm loathe to do this.
>
> Outlook will generate TNEF attachments if it is talking to an Exchange
> server and thinks that the message is going to be delivered locally. There
> is not a lot that you can do about this, though I think there is a setting
> within the Exchange addressbook that you can set to tell it to not do
> this.  TNEF attachments are a real royal pain. They encapsulate within
> them MIME attachments and other rich-text information for the display of
> the message. There are some TNEF extraction tools available but none will
> work very well within a web application such as IMP. I suspect this is the
> problem you are seeing.

Except that the TNEF data should show up as an attachment (albeit as an
octet-stream part that is useless) - his description seemed to indicate
that he wasn't seeing any attachments at all.  If it is the former,
then the TNEF viewer should be able to decode these parts for him - the
TNEF viewer has been around since IMP 4.0/Horde 3.0 and has been
improved for the upcoming 3.0.5 release.

michael