[imp] upgrade from IMP3 -> IMP4 : serious performance hit

Chris J. Alexander cjalexa at emory.edu
Tue Jul 19 09:00:23 PDT 2005

The only two that I had enabled were

$conf['mailbox']['show_attachments'] & $conf['mailbox']['show_xpriority']

which I have now disabled.  The load is still climbing though.

Is the new Horde/IMP much more DB intensive?  Perhaps I need to focus on the
MySQL installation?  That process seems very 'hot' now, much more so than
before.  But if the app needs that extra DB interaction, there isn't much I can
do beyond throw hardware at the problem.  Is there a quick'n'dirty way to
profile what's eating all my CPU?  I've tried truss'ing the processes but
gleaned nothing helpful.  Error logging is turned up, but not revealing anything
to me either.

I am using the Horde VFS with the MySQL DB on the one server, but again that was
being used before as well.  I tried very hard to make sure the *only* change was
the upgrade from IMP 3 -> IMP 4.

There are a total of 4000 sessions in the DB split among the two Solaris boxes -
these are v280R's w/ 4 GB of RAM, that should be plenty of headroom, shouldn't
it?

Thank you for continued help :)

CJA