[imp] upgrade from IMP3 -> IMP4 : serious performance hit

Myke Place mp at xmission.com
Tue Jul 19 09:15:58 PDT 2005

Chris J. Alexander wrote:

>The only two that I had enabled were
>
>$conf['mailbox']['show_attachments'] & $conf['mailbox']['show_xpriority']
>
>which I have now disabled.  The load is still climbing though.
>
>Is the new Horde/IMP much more DB intensive?  Perhaps I need to focus on the
>MySQL installation?  That process seems very 'hot' now, much more so than
>before.  But if the app needs that extra DB interaction, there isn't much I can
>do beyond throw hardware at the problem.  Is there a quick'n'dirty way to
>profile what's eating all my CPU?  I've tried truss'ing the processes but
>gleaned nothing helpful.  Error logging is turned up, but not revealing anything
>to me either.
>
>I am using the Horde VFS with the MySQL DB on the one server, but again that was
>being used before as well.  I tried very hard to make sure the *only* change was
>the upgrade from IMP 3 -> IMP 4.
>
>There are a total of 4000 sessions in the DB split among the two Solaris boxes -
>these are v280R's w/ 4 GB of RAM, that should be plenty of headroom, shouldn't
>it?
>
>Thank you for continued help :)
>
>CJA

For what it's worth, we have also experienced significant load increases
in moving from 3->4, even with the bells and whistles disabled. CPU load
is very heavy, even on a beefy box. More than 5 times what it was
previously (on a good day).

One thing that I've only had a few moments to look at is APD. I can't
really advocate it, having hardly used it, but if anybody wants to spend
some real time with it and post their results, I'm guessing that I
wouldn't be the only person interested:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7213

If you're spending that much time in MySQL wait, my untested assumption
is that APD will reveal it.

YMMV,

-mp