[imp] Horde/IMP causing too many open files error?

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Jul 25 14:40:15 PDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, kareemy wrote:

> Andy,
>
> lsof shows more  /var/www/logs/ssl_scache.db files opened. That is, I
> ran lsof at one point then about 20 minutes later. The only difference
> was 4 more ssl_scache.db files opened by apache. (I just ran lsof
> again and there are 8 more ssl_scache.db files opened compared with
> the first run).  The rest of the open files are just directories,
> shared objects, and some other log files.The ssl_scache.db file seems
> to be the culprit.
>
> I am not very familar with this file. I checked my httpd.conf and
> found these settings:
>
> SSLSessionCache         dbm:logs/ssl_scache
> SSLSessionCacheTimeout  300
>
> What would cause apache to keep opening more ssl_scache.db files and
> what do you think would be a good solution? I thought apache already
> would drop connections that did not complete after a certain timeout
> interval. Can I configure something like that?

I use the same SSLSessionCache here and I don't have any problems with
open files.  Apache will automatically clean up after connections,
otherwise you would eventually run out of available Apache processes.
This is kind of off-topic for this list I think, so maybe you should find
an Apache mailing list to seek help.

 	Andy