[imp] using hook to generate email address from uid in LDAP nis schema?

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Thu Oct 20 12:42:00 PDT 2005

Quoting Shane Williams <broot at ischool.utexas.edu>:

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Kevin M. Myer wrote:
>
>> Quoting Alain Fauconnet <alain at ait.ac.th>:
>>

>> > If I configure ./turba/sources.php with:
>> >
>> > $cfgSources['localldap'] = array(
>> >    'map' => array(
>> >        '__key' => 'dn',
>> >        '__uid' => 'uid',
>> >        'name' => 'cn',
>> >        'email' => 'uid',
>>
>> Typically, this would be mapped to something like:
>>
>>           'email' => 'mail',
>>
>> not uid (unless your uids are fully qualified email addresses).
>
> The problem is that there is no mail attribute in the NIS schema to
> map to.  What's needed is a way to add the domain to the uid, which
> would make it into a "real" email address.  Unfortunately, I'm in the
> same boat as Alain, so I don't have an answer.

Well, one possibility is to extend your schema then, to include one
that does support a mail attribute.  You could "fix" it in Horde but
you're probably going to want real email addresses in your directory
for other apps at some point.  Are the "famous NIS transition scripts
and nis.schema" mentioned the PADL MigrationTools or something else?

Have a look at the IMP pref for 'mail_domain' as well - that might be
helpful, but it won't fix the underlying issue, which is that you don't
have a mail attribute in your object in LDAP.

Kevin
--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator