[imp] imp not displaying encoded content as downloable attachment.

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Mon Nov 21 21:38:15 PST 2005

Quoting "Gary W. Smith" <gary at primeexalia.com>:

> We have some legacy email accounts we converted recently that contained
> attachments.  These attachments show up fine in Outlook express but in
> horde we just get this inline.  It doesn't matter what the filename is
> or the size.  That's problem number one.  The second problem is that
> this file (and many like them) are in the 200k range and will not load
> at all unless we bump the php.ini memory setting to 64+mb.  Some of the
> attachments are images, others are just data files.  I can understand
> why the images might not display and content on the page but they (as
> well as the other attachments) should be downloadable as attachments.
>

> begin 644 greyfile.dat
> M_]C_X``02D9)1@`!`0$`2`!(``#_X at Q824
> <javascript:open_compose_win('to=_X%40Q824&thismailbox=INBOX.bob.32');>
> -#7U!23T9)3$4```$```Q(3&EN
> M;P(0``!M;G1R4D="(%A96B`'S@`"``D`!@`Q``!A8W-P35-&5`````!)14,@

Yes - because these files are not MIME encode - they are uuencoded.
There is a good reason why emails are not uuencoded anymore.  To view
them, see imp/config/mime_drivers.php and change the following line:
$mime_drivers['imp']['plain']['uuencode'] = false;

to true.  But note, this means IMP has to scan *every* line in *every*
message for UUencoded data - yuck.

michael