[imp] IMP can't open message

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Wed Nov 30 11:15:59 PST 2005

Quoting Alex Ng <ngstylez at gmail.com>:

> I am not using POP.  I have the server sent to an IMAP server on port 143.
>
> You can test this yourself by sending yourself an attachment, say 10MB.
> Clicking on this message will take SIGNIFICANTLY longer (about 20-25 seconds
> on a high speed connection) for your browser to view than if you clicked on
> a message with no attachment (1-2 seconds).  This is because it is
> downloading the attachment into the server's memory.
>
> We conducted a test and monitored the process list on our server and the
> apache process in question kept increasing in memory utilization while the
> message was being loaded in the browser.

And you are actually tracing the IMAP calls to the server that indicate
that they are downloading the body parts?

Additionally, you are not telling us what the structure of your
messages are.  Obviously, in certain situations, it is *required* to
download the body of the messages even if they are not shown to the
user.  For example, an S/MIME or PGP message must always be downloaded
in its entirety in order to decrypt/verify.

But I can assure you that we never download body parts of the message
unless we absolutely need them, at least that I know of.  If you find
situations where this is ocurring - great, please let us know so we can
fix those instances.  But a blanket statement saying that we always do
it without looking at what our code does is simply incorrect.

michael