[imp] my experience

Didi Rieder adrieder at sbox.tugraz.at
Wed Dec 21 01:01:18 PST 2005

Quoting "Jose R. Roca" <joseroca at gmail.com>:

> I basically ran into the same problem and I did basically the same thing you
> did, throw all the hardware I could find to the problem. Now, since my
> instalation was a new one and my users only had access to IMP without any
> other feature before hand, I just took out Nag which happens to be the
> application that runs that query each time a user logs in. As soon as I took
> Nag out everything ran smoothly. I dont know if you can make the same choice
> that I did since you might already have users using the old Nag, but I can
> say that it worked for me.
>
> Never acually tried seperating the history out of the Datatree might try
> that out now and try using the Nag application soon.

I can only confirm this!
I'm running HEAD. But I also have huge mySQL performance problems as
soon as "Nag" is enabled. So it seems that the splitting of the
Datatree is not enough for a real speed up...

... at least not in an environment with more than several hundred
concurrent users.
And I can't believe that this is about hardware. We have 4 servers
acting as webservers behind a loadbalancer equipped with a SSL
crypto-card, and a separate 4 way 8GB system as mySQL server.

I just wonder what "Nag" is doing. I already disabled the sharing
options for "Turba", "Kronolith" and "Nag". But the only thing which
helps to get the load from the mySQL server is to disable "Nag".

Didi

--
Didi Rieder
adrieder at sbox.tugraz.at