[imp] Can't login if the INBOX is large

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 1 13:06:36 PST 2006

Quoting danci at agenda.si:

> I have Horde 2.2.3 and IMP 3.2.2, using imap-2002d package. Users have
> complains about not being able to login - I traced it down to the fact,
> that this happens if their INBOX is large.

This should not matter, unless there is a timeout issue on either end.

> jan 31 09:58:51 HORDE [notice] [imp] Login success for
> theuser at thedomain.com [my.ip] to {localhost:143} [on line 92 of
> "/srv/www/htdocs/horde/imp/redirect.php"]
> jan 31 10:01:17 HORDE [error] [imp] FAILED LOGIN 1my.ip to
> localhost:143[imap/novalidate-cert] as theuser [on line 281 of
> "/srv/www/htdocs/horde/imp/lib/IMP.php"]

That kind of looks like maybe you have two server entries in your
imp/config/servers.conf file?  Like it tries to connect first with
a normal IMAP session and the complete username at realm, and then
tries again with a SSL connection and the username without the realm?

Try checking your imp/config/servers.conf file, and remove any example
configurations that you are not using, and see if that clears it up or not.

> If I delete most of the users mail so just a couple of MB remain, he can
> login without any problem.

This makes it sound like what I say above is wrong.  That there is some
timeout issue involved instead.  Check your Horde and php timeout values.

> I think it has to do mostly with 'imap-2002d' not being very good with
> large mailboxes, but I need to resolve this without changing the system
> too much.

I run uw-imap with large files, and while it is slow, it does work.

> Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Only the above very inconclusive ideas which may not help...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!