[imp] Idea for new feature: View Only...

Eric Gorr mailist at ericgorr.net
Sat Feb 25 01:22:22 PST 2006

Eric Jon Rostetter wrote:
> Quoting Eric Gorr <mailist at ericgorr.net>:
>
>> This is a common feature found in other popular e-mail applications, like
>> Thunderbird - the ability to display only certain kinds of messages in a
>> mailbox.
>
> As others have said, this can be done via virtual folders.  I'm not
> sure what your objections to this are, or how you would provide a better
> solution.

It seems cumbersome to be forced to setup 81 virtual folders (just for
starters) to have it work in the way I want it to work.

>> So, for example, when viewing your inbox, you could select View:
>> unseen and only
>> the unseen messages would be displayed.
>
> You can do a system-wide setup in IMP to always create a Virtual Inbox to
> do just this.  But assuming that you mean this as just one example, and
> want others (beside unseen and deleted), then the user would have to define
> the needed virtual folders...

Indeed.

>> This could be largely thought of as a more generic implementation of the
>> Show/Hide Deleted messages feature.
>
> If you wanted it restricted to a single mailbox.  The virtual folders seem
> more useful to me as they can span folders selectively.  Show/Hide
> Deleted (AFAIK) only work on a single folder.

For those who would want all of the 'Important' messages in every single
folder (I've got 27 at the moment, but this number is not static)  to
appear in a single, potentially _very_ long list, yes, virtual folders
are the way to go.

However, I do not want this.

May I ask what the reason is to keep the Show/Hide Deleted feature
around? Cannot Virtual Folders already do this?

Now, assuming that people generally support keeping the Show/Hide
Deleted feature around, the reasoning behind keeping it around (unless
they would merely involve reasons dealing with 'it's already there' or
'legacy issues') would be the same for implementing simple filtering
functionality on individual folders, like Thunderbird.