[imp] Idea for new feature: View Only...

Jacob Elder jake at trec.us
Sat Feb 25 09:13:33 PST 2006

On Feb 25, 2006, at 12:24 AM, Eric Jon Rostetter wrote:

> I'm really unclear of the issue you are trying to solve, and how it
> differs from Virtual Folders.  The only way I see it would be
> different
> would be that it is more dynamic (via a select box) where as Virtual
> Folders would either be more static (define once, use from then on) or
> more work (define it each time you want to use a new one).
>
> I have a feeling that one of us is missing something though.  I really
> think that to get any further you need to clearly state your goals,
> and
> why you think virtual folders (and the search interface) don't meet
> those
> goals as-is.
>
> Sorry if I'm just being dense...

I think he is looking for a way to do this quickly and without too
much forethought. By adding a drop-down (or other simple widget) to
select views, a novice or busy user could easily get to the messages
they need. Doing this via virtual folders means that I have to scroll
through even more virtual folders. I have about 20 right now without
trying to do "views." Also consider the number of clicks and page
loads it would take to do this with virtual folders.

This is why I want the view feature: I am network administrator for 5
medium-size real estate offices. I use the flag-as-important feature
as a todo list. First thing in the morning, I open Mail.app on my
PowerBook and flag the issues I need to attend to at the office. When
I get to work, I log into Horde and scan my inbox for those flagged
messages, marking them as unimportant as each issue is resolved. On
especially busy days, the flagged messages could be below the 20 my
Inbox will show me per page. I have wished that I could easily switch
to a view of a given inbox that shows just flagged, or just
unanswered, or just messages where I am in the To: line.

--
Jacob Elder