[imp] Imp 4.1 empty trash issue

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu Mar 9 13:47:23 PST 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 12:03, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>Quoting Joaquim Homrighausen <joho at webbplatsen.se>:
>> * On 03/09/2006 04:22 PM Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>>> In the new version, the message saying the trash was emptied
>>> is still there as expected, but the trash folder is made the active
>>> folder.
>>
>> I've seen this too but forgot to mention it.
>
>This is the expected behavior.

Perhaps it is for some users, but certainly not all. I would not expect
the active mail folder to change when emptying the trash. I've also had
other users complain since upgrading Imp. I would argue that changing
the active mail folder when emptying the trash violates the principle
of least surprise. Desktop mail clients, for instance, don't change
what folder is active when you select the empty trash menu item or
icon. At least not the non-web clients i've used (mostly PMDF Mail,
Eudora, kmail, and a few other Linux clients to lesser degrees). And
since this unexpected behavior did not occur in the previous version of
Imp, it would seem reasonable to believe that it is not required for
technical reasons. So, is there a simple way to restore the previous
version's behavior, or will it require a code patch?