[imp] Downloading an attachment

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Mar 14 01:45:06 PST 2006

On 13.03.06 13:17, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> And if you look at the INSTALL documents, it states that NO memory limit
> should be set.  So you are on your own when using PHP w/a memory limit
> specified.

No, sorry, I won't kill my machines by letting PHP eat all of memory. Having
ocassional problems with memory limit is much more safe solution for this
problem. We only have X machines with only Y GB of RAM, and last time we
upgraded RAM (and memory limits) shortly after upgrade to IMP4, guess why.
That time I found out that 50MB is enough...

> > If we'd have a better way (e.g. binary PHP module for working with MIME
> > and supported by Horde/Imp), I'd be VERY glad (and it would be also
> > faster from the CPU's point of view).
>
> If people would like to submit patches/suggest improvements as to how
> we can improve our memory performance, we would obviously be more than
> willing to take a look and improve this.  But we have made this call
> for improvements many times in the past, and to this day all of those
> who are so vociferous in bitching that "Horde sucks!  it uses too much
> memory!  the coding stinks!" have done absolutely nothing to help with
> improved results.

at least you know about this problem... and I hope you looked at other
php-based webmail products (squirrelmail?), if/how they solve this problem

> In so many words, PHP is a high-level language which (by design) is
> meant to hide many OS-level details from the programmer (i.e. memory
> management).  So programming in PHP with an eye toward reducing memory
> is much more transparent than it would be in other languages (i.e. C).

Of course. I didn't want to insult horde/imp coders, just to comment current
status.
My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.