[imp] Downloading an attachment

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Mar 13 12:17:22 PST 2006

Quoting Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>:

> Horde/IMP, when encoding and decoding MIME messages, is a memory hog. I had
> to allow PHP use 50MB of memory to work with 10MB mails (~7.5 MB
> attachments). And it might be even more. For 4.5 MB attachment, 30MB could
> be enough.

And if you look at the INSTALL documents, it states that NO memory
limit should be set.  So you are on your own when using PHP w/a memory
limit specified.

> If we'd have a better way (e.g. binary PHP module for working with MIME and
> supported by Horde/Imp), I'd be VERY glad (and it would be also faster from
> the CPU's point of view).

If people would like to submit patches/suggest improvements as to how
we can improve our memory performance, we would obviously be more than
willing to take a look and improve this.  But we have made this call
for improvements many times in the past, and to this day all of those
who are so vociferous in bitching that "Horde sucks!  it uses too much
memory!  the coding stinks!" have done absolutely nothing to help with
improved results.

In so many words, PHP is a high-level language which (by design) is
meant to hide many OS-level details from the programmer (i.e. memory
management).  So programming in PHP with an eye toward reducing memory
is much more transparent than it would be in other languages (i.e. C).

michael