[imp] Can't create subfolders with UW-IMAP

Mark Worsdall imp at worsdall.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 1 10:03:49 PST 2006

In message <e0ihks$f8j$1 at sea.gmane.org>, Andreas Vögele
<voegelas at gmx.net> writes
>I can't create subfolders with UW-IMAP when using IMP 4.1 or IMP
>4.1.1-cvs.  For example, if a user tries to create a subfolder B in
>folder A he gets the following error message:
>
>The folder "A/B" was not created. This is what the server said: CREATE
>failed: Can't create mailbox node /home/peter/mail/A/: File exists
>
>We have always used "set mail-subdirectory mail" in /etc/c-client.cf,
>so we didn't get the problems that others had with UW-IMAP when they
>switched to IMP 4.1.  I've just recompiled UW-IMAP with the patch from
>the Horde wiki and removed the mail-subdirectory setting from
>/etc/c-client.cf. But I still can't create subfolders.
>
>Has anyone else encountered this problem?
>
>This is our server configuration:
>
>$servers['imap'] = array(
>    'name' => 'IMAP Server',
>    'server' => 'localhost',
>    'hordeauth' => true,
>    'protocol' => 'imap/notls',
>    'port' => 143,
>    'maildomain' => 'icido',
>    'smtphost' => 'localhost',
>    'smtpport' => 25,
>    'realm' => '',
>    'preferred' => '',
>);

After lots of problems and reading the horde wiki about imap-uw, I
decided enough is enough and took the risk of installing (FreeBSD @
Hinwick) dovecot IMAP since this was what was running fine on my other
horde site (Debian @ Shadow).

Dovecot has a few tips on migration from imap-uw, but basically it went
perfect and now everything works much quicker and reliably. It can be
easily configured and controlled via its conf file. No need to change
any settings in the imp servers file either.

My advice to anyone having IMAP problems if using imap-uw is switch to
another IMAP server. It only took 20 mins.

--
Mark Worsdall
http://www.shadowrobot.com/  need a hand??