[imp] IMAP recommendations anyone?

Chris H. fbsd at 1command.com
Thu Apr 27 08:07:09 PDT 2006

Hello, and thank you for your reply.
Indeed your suggestion would help. Imp/ Horde also already offer
the same ability to cache the tree and recent messages. However,
there are 2 (well maybe 3) things that bother me about all this:
1) as I mentioned before, 3.09 was about 4-5 times faster. So
why the sudden loss in performance and speed? - not to mention the
additional loads I'm seeing on the CPU's. Top is showing some
really high numbers by comparison, and this is a DUAL CPU box.
2)It still will take about 3-5 minutes to get completely logged
on and the entire message list with only on user logged on and
no other proccess other than MySQL, Apache, Horde/ Imp. 5 minutes.
That's *way* too long, and this is on a dual CPU box with 3Gig of
RAM. Something's *definately* wrong.
So I am going to walk down the list of possibilities to discover
the culprit. Starting with UW-IMAP. I'll probably start by testing
Dovecot. It is reported to be quite a bit faster than UW-IMAP. But
what I most look forward to; is the ability to have much easier
configuration. As with UW-IMAP, it's always a matter of hacking
the source. Anyway, I hope to find that it's the IMAP server (UW)
and not the slight change in direction Horde/ Imp have made.

Thanks again for your response.

--Chris H.

--
Shameless self-promotion follows...
... or does it?

FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p12 (SMP - 900x2) Tue Mar 7 19:37:23 PST 2006