[imp] IMAP recommendations anyone?

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 27 08:41:33 PDT 2006

Quoting "Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com>:

> 1) as I mentioned before, 3.09 was about 4-5 times faster. So
> why the sudden loss in performance and speed? - not to mention the
> additional loads I'm seeing on the CPU's. Top is showing some
> really high numbers by comparison, and this is a DUAL CPU box.

If we knew that, we would have already told you, no?

And so what processes is top showing using the CPU?  And as I've asked
before, is the speed problem at login and every 3-4 minutes there after,
running quickly between those times? Or is it always slow?  At least now
you've said it isn't under high user load, so that helps.

> 2)It still will take about 3-5 minutes to get completely logged
> on and the entire message list with only on user logged on and
> no other proccess other than MySQL, Apache, Horde/ Imp.

No Turba?

> 5 minutes.
> That's *way* too long, and this is on a dual CPU box with 3Gig of
> RAM. Something's *definately* wrong.

Yes, something is.  What?

> So I am going to walk down the list of possibilities to discover
> the culprit. Starting with UW-IMAP.

Why starting there?

> I'll probably start by testing
> Dovecot. It is reported to be quite a bit faster than UW-IMAP. But

Yes, it is.  It also has yet to see its first official 1.0 version
release...

> what I most look forward to; is the ability to have much easier
> configuration. As with UW-IMAP, it's always a matter of hacking
> the source.

Or using the "officially unsupported" configuration files...

> Anyway, I hope to find that it's the IMAP server (UW)
> and not the slight change in direction Horde/ Imp have made.

I seriously doubt it, but who knows.  At first you said it had to be
Horde/IMP because you didn't change anything else.  Then you said the
login problem was because you updated UW-IMAP.  So who knows what
else it could be.

> Thanks again for your response.

Personally I'd guess your slow login is turba and the problem is
your turba/config/sources.php, but that is only based on the fact
that a lot of other people who have slow logins reported to the list
have this problem.  Since you won't answer any questions about your
problems or provide sufficient details, I can't really make a very
educated guess as to your problems.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics