[imp] Will IMAP be supported again? [RESOLVED]

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 27 08:19:19 PDT 2006

Quoting "Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com>:

> Hello,
> The slowness (I suspect) is the long routine of parsing the
> entire namespace.

Do you have a large namespace or something?

> Though I frequently recieve failures in the horde
> log indicationg lost sessions. So I'm not sure that there aren't
> other problems with the IMP/Horde code with the session management.

What kind of session management are you using?

> I'm using an identical setup to the 3.09 install. So there aren't
> any other variables other than the IMP/Horde code and (perhaps)
> some subtle differences in UW-IMAP. But nothing significant there.

Since you spent a week not being able to login due to UW-IMAP changes
(if I read your message correctly) that you have blamed on Horde/IMP,
I'd say there are other variables to be considered...

Even within the Horde code, there are other variables like your
configuration of it, bugs in php acceleraters if you use them, etc.

> I'm looking to change to a different IMAP server (Dovecot, Cyrus,
> or some other). In hopes to see an improvement in speed and
> performance - configurability too. :)

Switching to dovecot will improve performance and configurability for
sure.  Now, will it improve (or reduce) reliability?  That I can't
say.

> BTW, what on earth made you think you (or anyone) needed the params
> in the server.php file to resolve the issue I was having? I had

Because you didn't provide _any_ real information about your problems
to allow us to help you, so the only thing we can do (besides ignore you)
is to try to start to pull information from you, which we do based on the
number of past postings of people to the list.

> already indicated that I was using the same (already working)
> settings from my previous 3.09 install. Anyway, I just thought that
> was a bit odd.

Well, we have to start somewhere.  If you provide more information,
then we don't have to ask non-relavent stuff...

If all you say is "I can't login" or "It is slow" my first response is
to ask you questions which will reveal if you are having the most common
problems people report...  And the most common reasons for those two things
are imp/config/servers.php, turba/config/sources.php, and the datatree
table in the DB...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics