[imp] Will IMAP be supported again? [RESOLVED]

Chris H. fbsd at 1command.com
Thu Apr 27 08:22:44 PDT 2006

Quoting Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au>:

> [private reply]
>
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006, Chris H. wrote:
>
>> Speaking of UW-IMAP hacks, you might be interested in these:
>>
>> http://wiki.horde.org/ImpUWIMAPNamespaces
>> http://wiki.horde.org/ImpImapConfig
>
> Yup - but as I've posted before, I'm in the unfortunate situation
> of administrating a Webmail frontend which talks to UW-IMAP servers
> run by others, and I can't force them to upgrade.
>
>> I've continued to use UW-IMAP for all these years because I've
>> become comfortable with it. That's a big plus when you're
>> administering a huge server farm. But today, I've decided that
>> the hack-and-dash routines required to keep UW-IMAP up to snuff
>> have outlived their usefulness and have become more of a liability
>> than an asset. So I'm in search of a replacement. I need
>> something that is *intended* to be configurable and thereby
>> easily lends itself to adjustment. Visually parsing the source
>> (as is required to configure so much of UW-IMAP) just doesn't
>> get it. The lack of doc's doesn't help either. I kept hoping
>> that that scenerio would change. But I'm done waiting. :)
>
> We run Dovecot (pop3/imap) on one of the mail servers my group administers
> and its wonderful.

Excellent. That's what I was hoping to hear. I was going to check that
one out first.

> The biggest problem was migrating all of the users'
> over from the myriad of mailbox settings to something consistent
> (/var/spool/mail/$USER? $HOME/mbox? Both? Folders in $HOME/mail?
> $HOME/Mail? $HOME/MailFolders? It got a bit silly.)

Ahhh, That's why I run all of the mail out of a MySQL DB. I can back
up the DB and move it anywhere I want. Move the spools, whatever. All
the settings are all packed up in the DB and I gan make global changes
on a whim. Wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

--Chris H.

--
Shameless self-promotion follows...
... or does it?

FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p12 (SMP - 900x2) Tue Mar 7 19:37:23 PST 2006