[imp] IMAP recommendations anyone?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Apr 27 09:21:31 PDT 2006

Quoting "Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com>:

> Quoting Eric Jon Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:
>
>> Quoting "Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com>:
>>
>>> Anyway, now that everything is working, it is about 5-7 times slower than
>>> the 3.09 install was.
>>
>> Could be for a variety of reasons...
>
> Not in my case. In fact very few. I am working with few variables in this
> case. Very little has been permitted to change. For me, it's a must. As
> I administer 30 servers, 42 domains and some 15,000 hosts. Everything is
> as close to a rubber stamp as I can make it. This move was somewhat "out
> of the box". But as this is a new server for launching a new service. It
> allowed me to deviate slightly, so as to test some new applications.
> However, I have carefully examined all the variables and I am down to two:
> 1) UW-IMAP has always been on the low-performance side of things. It has
> made no claims to be anything but compatible and regression tested.
> 2) Horde/Imp have gone a somewhat different direction in the handling
> of the IMAP namespace, and *this* is most surely where the "shoe pinches".

Then tell UW-IMAP to stop broadcasting the entire home directory of
the user as part of the namespace.  This is what has changed in IMP
4.1 and is clearly described in imp/docs/UPGRADING.  If you are
unable/unwilling to fix UW-IMAP, then you should continue using IMP
4.0.x.

I can verify that a correctly configured IMP 4.1.x installation is
*much* faster than a correctly configured IMP 4.0.x installation - in
terms of both PHP execution time and reduced number of calls to the
IMAP server.

michael