[imp] IMAP recommendations anyone?

Chris H. fbsd at 1command.com
Thu Apr 27 09:10:32 PDT 2006

Quoting Eric Jon Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> Quoting "Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com>:
>
>> Anyway, now that everything is working, it is about 5-7 times slower than
>> the 3.09 install was.
>
> Could be for a variety of reasons...

Not in my case. In fact very few. I am working with few variables in this
case. Very little has been permitted to change. For me, it's a must. As
I administer 30 servers, 42 domains and some 15,000 hosts. Everything is
as close to a rubber stamp as I can make it. This move was somewhat "out
of the box". But as this is a new server for launching a new service. It
allowed me to deviate slightly, so as to test some new applications.
However, I have carefully examined all the variables and I am down to two:
1) UW-IMAP has always been on the low-performance side of things. It has
made no claims to be anything but compatible and regression tested.
2) Horde/Imp have gone a somewhat different direction in the handling
of the IMAP namespace, and *this* is most surely where the "shoe pinches".

So, as my IMAP server has not changed since it was installed for 3.09,
and my settings have not changed accept for the elimination of folder
and namespace in the server.php file. I am going to give the developers
of Imp/ Horde the benefit of the doubt and surmise that this difference
in namespace definition (or lack there of) has exposed UW-IMAP for the
stable, but inefficient server that it is, and attempt to confirm this
by installing a replacement IMAP server. I keep all mail and settings
in a MySQL DB (which has also not changed). So it will then be a simple
task to make a reliable comparison.

>> So, as I am quite sure it is IMAP server related:
>
> How are you sure of that?

I will be.

>> more precicely; UW-IMAP related, I was was hoping to solicit some
>> recommendations/ experiences from everyone on the list. I've enjoyed
>
> I use the latest CVS RELENG code with UW-IMAP with no performance problems.

With what sort of load?

> If you do want to change to a faster IMAP server, dovecot is the fastest
> with UW-IMAP style mbox folders.  Otherwise, if you want to convert to
> Maildir format mailboxes, just about anything will be faster than UW-IMAP.
>
> But there should be no reason to move off UW-IMAP *IF* it was fast enough
> before, as it should still be about as fast as before.

See above.

>> UW-IMAP all these years because it has been well supported and I'm familiar
>> with it's many quirks. But as time goes by, it becomes increasingly
>> difficult to configure (HACK the source) it. So I am hoping that those
>> whom are familiar with the other implimentations of IMAP servers (Cyrus,
>> Dovecot, etc...) might share their experiences with them here. The output
>
> There is not really a reason you should have to switch from UW-IMAP. If
> you do, any of the major ones should work.
>
> Personally I'm waiting for dovecot 1.0

I already have 1.0. Which is what I will be testing/ installing.

> to be officially released, and
> I'll switch from UW-IMAP to that at that time.  I'll probably make the
> switch early this summer (June-ish).
>
>> would also make a great contribution to IMP/ Horde documentation. :)
>
> It is all highly opinionated,

Now *thats* opinionated.

> and wouldn't be of a lot of help really.
> Just leads to "religious" wars...

I fail to see where sharing ones experiences with other to gleen
information from is starting a "religious" war. This is what mailing
lists are for: sharing information and experiences.

Isn't that exactly what you are doing in this email?!