[imp] IMAP recommendations anyone?

Chris H. fbsd at 1command.com
Thu Apr 27 10:10:48 PDT 2006

> Quoting "Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com>:
>
>> Quoting Eric Jon Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

>>> Could be for a variety of reasons...
>>
>> Not in my case. In fact very few. I am working with few variables in this
>> case. Very little has been permitted to change. For me, it's a must. As
>> I administer 30 servers, 42 domains and some 15,000 hosts. Everything is
>> as close to a rubber stamp as I can make it. This move was somewhat "out
>> of the box". But as this is a new server for launching a new service. It
>> allowed me to deviate slightly, so as to test some new applications.
>> However, I have carefully examined all the variables and I am down to two:
>> 1) UW-IMAP has always been on the low-performance side of things. It has
>> made no claims to be anything but compatible and regression tested.
>> 2) Horde/Imp have gone a somewhat different direction in the handling
>> of the IMAP namespace, and *this* is most surely where the "shoe pinches".
>
> Then tell UW-IMAP to stop broadcasting the entire home directory of
> the user as part of the namespace.  This is what has changed in IMP
> 4.1 and is clearly described in imp/docs/UPGRADING.  If you are
> unable/unwilling to fix UW-IMAP, then you should continue using IMP
> 4.0.x.
>
> I can verify that a correctly configured IMP 4.1.x installation is
> *much* faster than a correctly configured IMP 4.0.x installation - in
>  terms of both PHP execution time and reduced number of calls to the
> IMAP server.

No, no, no. This is exactly what I am trying to say. I *quite* agree
with you here. I'm simply tired of having to hack UW-IMAP. I have little
doubt that IMP/Horde are doing anything but the *correct* and *propper*
handling of the mail. I've been on the list for some time and have
watched the rebuttle regarding the RFC's. I have actually already
defended Horde and friends in this thread. I just think UW-IMAP, as
dependable as it is and with the tweaks and hacks horde and others have
provided, it's just not efficient to continue using. The research that
I have already done seems to indicate that Dovecot *overall* would be
a more efficient choice. As compared to UW-IMAP.

So, in summary; I believe that Horde 4.1 and friends to be the correct
choice (I'd have left for Squirrelmail a long time ago, if I didn't ;) )
for my continued mail services. I think UW-IMAP is extremely reliable
but a bit too "klunky" to be considered the best choice in the "big
picture". I have heard many reports that Dovecot is alot faster (and
probably more "forward thinking") than UW-IMAP. So I am hoping that I
find that it helps me in my current and; more importantly; and future
dealings in combination with Horde & Co.

--Chris H.