[imp] IMAP recommendations anyone?

Ernesto Garcia otsenre76 at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 12:36:22 PDT 2006

Hi IMP Users

  Chris I have been tracking your posting about IMAP Server.

  I was experiencing some similar situation, i had configured a WU-IMAP and the access was very slow. I solved this problem changing to maildir format with Courier-Imap, and also i have configured authlib-courier for shadow files  authentication

  But now i have a new problem, ramdomly the Webmail displayed "session failed" and in the system logs I get this error:
   [client 201.224.147.80] PHP Notice:  (null)(): Connection failed to localhost,143: Connection Timeout (errflg=2) in Unknown on line 0, referer: http://server.coma/horde/imp/mailbox.php?nocache=6wfr1rpqkdfk&page=1

  I have all services in one box server: Mysql Apache, PHP, Horde, IMP, Turba, Passwd, Kronolith, Sendmail, Courier-authlib, Courier-imapd.  It is a Dual Opteron 4 GB RAM with a SAN.

  I don't know if i change again to other imap server this was the solution, i think there is some problem configuration with IMP or with imap server.

  Now i'm admin about 16000 mail accounts in this server.

  I understand you have some similar amount of accounts, do you have some recommendation about this problem

"Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com> escribió:
  Quoting Eric Jon Rostetter :

> Quoting "Chris H." :
>
>> I'm still going to install Dovecot. I need a more modern, more
>> administrator friendly, less a hack IMAP server. :)
>
> I'm not saying you shouldn't (I've even plugged it, as well as warned
> about it, in my previous posts).
>
> All I'm saying is that if the problem is with your turba config, or
> with your session config, or something like that, then changing
> the IMAP server software will not help any. And since debugging
> if it is turba or sessions takes literally just a minute or two
> with little effort, that is where I would start rather than something
> as large scale as changing IMAP servers (which will take at least
> 15 minutes, probably _lots_ more).

Hello Eric,
I would like to firstly thank you for your "magic wand".
That is to say that, indeed, it did turn out that Turba was the worst
culprit. I must say, I am *quite* amazed that given that there is
no difference between the two source.php files in the two installs.
Yet in *this* install, it made *such* a difference. You are *most*
amazing; in your ability to ferret that cause from my input. Truly
amazing. Thanks for your undying patients. :)

As per; installing a new IMAP server. Given that I run almost all
of my server out of a DB. I can't imagine it would take anymore
than 30min. tops for Dovecot. Since they handle mailboxes in the
same format (the mailbox itself). All else looks pretty straight
forward. In so much as I have read so far. Feel free to correct me
if I'm wrong. As I haven't done it yet (I'm still reading the spec's/
doc's).

Thanks again for taking all the time to provide so much input.
I greatly appreciate it.

--Chris H.

> --
> Eric Rostetter