[imp] identities

lst_hoe01@kwsoft.de lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de
Mon May 8 08:31:02 PDT 2006

Zitat von Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>:

>> Zitat von "Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com>:
>> >Am I missing something here? If using sendmail on a NIX box, you can
>> >assign aliases for any individual you wish. I have found that IMP
>> >(with an IMAP server) correctly expands the available aliases for
>> >the user. Thereby only permitting the choice of*valid* aliases for
>> >for the sender.
>> >Is this not your desired goal?
>
> On 07.05.06 11:43, lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de wrote:
>> What do you mean by expand the available aliases in IMP? As far as i
>> known the choice is to let the user set his/her e-Mail address per
>> identity or not by simply typing it in. What we want to do is to let
>> the users choose only from the aliases defined for his/her account in
>> the database.
>> What settings do you use and is this maybe a feature of IMP 4.1.x??
>
> I think this is a mistake. afaik the IMAP protocol doesn't know anything
> about addresses (aliases) for current (any) user... note that IMAP is
> different from SMTP and has nothing to do with it (although it's used for
> manipulating with something SMTP is being used to transfer).

Errh, no. I don't speak of IMAP/SMTP/POP3 whatever. We have the simple
need to tie some aliases (sender mailadress) to a given login name and
let the user choose which one to use (today).
Until now we use the login name as non-changeable default and let the
MTA do the rewrite to a valid sender address.

> Although there are libc functions for expanding aliases, most of MTAs use
> own functions for aliases, even usernames.
>
> Our company is the one that would like to have system for mnaging users'
> addresses - we use SQL (generally, non-system) database to store users and
> addresses - in our database having one username does not eve guarantee
> having the same string for address.
>
> With IMP this makes problems, because currently it gives username as
> default address, which sometimes doesn't exist, sometimes even belongs to
> other user.
>
> So, we would also like to have mechanism for choosing valid outgoing
> addresses.

That's 100% in line what we try to do. Get a array of valid aliases
(sender-addresses) from a database and let the user choose which of
them to use for the IMP identity (login name). The solution would be in
the line of the following suggested from Jan Schneider :

>> Change the from_addr to be an 'enum' preference type instead of
>> 'text', and fill the 'enum' parameter with the correct values from the
>> db based on Auth::getAuth().

Regards

Andreas