[imp] identities

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon May 8 07:59:59 PDT 2006

On 07.05.06 11:43, lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de wrote:
> What do you mean by expand the available aliases in IMP? As far as i
> known the choice is to let the user set his/her e-Mail address per
> identity or not by simply typing it in. What we want to do is to let
> the users choose only from the aliases defined for his/her account in
> the database.
> What settings do you use and is this maybe a feature of IMP 4.1.x??

I think this is a mistake. afaik the IMAP protocol doesn't know anything
about addresses (aliases) for current (any) user... note that IMAP is
different from SMTP and has nothing to do with it (although it's used for
manipulating with something SMTP is being used to transfer).

Although there are libc functions for expanding aliases, most of MTAs use
own functions for aliases, even usernames.

Our company is the one that would like to have system for mnaging users'
addresses - we use SQL (generally, non-system) database to store users and
addresses - in our database having one username does not eve guarantee
having the same string for address.

With IMP this makes problems, because currently it gives username as
default address, which sometimes doesn't exist, sometimes even belongs to
other user.

So, we would also like to have mechanism for choosing valid outgoing
addresses.

REALITY.SYS corrupted. Press any key to reboot Universe.