[imp] Authentication problem

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Wed Jun 21 13:30:44 PDT 2006

Recently an authentication problem has come to my attention. We have two
servers with different versions of Horde and Imp installed. Both are
configured to use Imp for authentication, and for Imp to authenticate
against our imap server.

The old server has Horde 2.1 and Imp 3.2.5. If a user mistypes their
password, Imp connects to the server 3 times (each time trying the
password once) before reporting that it could not log in.

The new server has Horde 3.1.1 and Imp 4.1.1. If the user mistypes their
password, Imp tries to connect 3 times, each time trying the password
thrice for a total of 9 login attempts before it gives up.
Unfortunately, that number is high enough that the imap server thinks
it is under attack and it locks the account for 5 minutes.

I looked for a switch to change this behavior so that Imp only attempts
to log in once with a bad password, but did not see anything. Is there
a setting or a patch to disable the multiple login attempts that i
overlooked? If so, where can i find it?