[imp] (Newb) Horde/IMP resource hungry?

lst_hoe01@kwsoft.de lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de
Mon Jun 26 07:56:55 PDT 2006

Zitat von SimonMartin <lists at mail-lists.co.uk>:

> Hi,
>
> Hope this question isn't OT...
>
> Ippimail is considering switching from Squirrelmail to IMP.
>
> When I mentioned this in passing to an admin at a US university, he
> said something like: "Oh really? We made the opposite switch because
> Horde/IMP was so resource hungry. Mind you, that was a couple of
> years ago..."
>
> Can you guys comment on this? Have improvements been made in this area?

YMMV ...

As with all complex server side applications it can be a real
CPU/Memory hog. Be sure to examine the following if you expect some
noticeable workload :

- Read the PERFORMANCE tips in the doc section
- Use a fast IMAP server / Database
- Use a PHP accelerator
- Be sure to get a clean configuration and maybe disable features which
are marked as "generate load on the server" like attachment icons,
previews etc.
- Get some big amount of memory if your users handle big attachments
- Use PHP with the recommended features compiled in (mcrypt!!)

With a carefully tuned installation some guys operate large userbases
webmail systems with HORD/IMP.

Regards

Andreas