[imp] (Newb) Horde/IMP resource hungry?

SimonMartin lists at mail-lists.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 02:26:24 PDT 2006

Andreas and Michael,

Thanks for your comments. It looks as if it would be wise to get one
of the Horde consultants to look at our setup once we make a decision.

Simon
On 26 Jun 2006, at 15:56, lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de wrote:

> Zitat von SimonMartin <lists at mail-lists.co.uk>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Hope this question isn't OT...
>>
>> Ippimail is considering switching from Squirrelmail to IMP.
>>
>> When I mentioned this in passing to an admin at a US university,
>> he  said something like: "Oh really? We made the opposite switch
>> because  Horde/IMP was so resource hungry. Mind you, that was a
>> couple of  years ago..."
>>
>> Can you guys comment on this? Have improvements been made in this
>> area?
>>

> YMMV ...
>
> As with all complex server side applications it can be a real CPU/
> Memory hog. Be sure to examine the following if you expect some
> noticeable workload :
>
> - Read the PERFORMANCE tips in the doc section
> - Use a fast IMAP server / Database
> - Use a PHP accelerator
> - Be sure to get a clean configuration and maybe disable features
> which are marked as "generate load on the server" like attachment
> icons, previews etc.
> - Get some big amount of memory if your users handle big attachments
> - Use PHP with the recommended features compiled in (mcrypt!!)
>
> With a carefully tuned installation some guys operate large
> userbases webmail systems with HORD/IMP.

Simon

Simon Martin

Get a free email address at http://www.ippimail.com and
support your favorite charity without it costing you a penny.
It's email. For good.