[imp] Problem with Horde 3.1.2 and MySQL 5.0 sessions

Graeme Wood Graeme.Wood at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 19 06:37:45 PDT 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Jeff Tucker wrote:

> Graeme Wood wrote:
> >
> > On 19 Jul 2006, at 06:17, Jeff Tucker wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, guys. I'm having a problem using a MySQL 5.0 server as a database
> >> for Horde sessions. I'm hoping this rings a bell with someone.
> >>
> >> First, I have an old Horde/IMP setup and an old MySQL 3.1 server. These
> >> work fine together including MySQL-based sessions.
> >>
> >> I installed a new machine with a new Horde 3.1.2 and IMP 4.1.2. This was
> >> initially setup with the old MySQL database. It worked fine with the
> >> existing databases and tables.
> >>
> >> Next I installed a new database machine and migrated all the databases
> >> to the new machine. The old Horde/IMP is still in production and works
> >> fine with the new databases.
> >>
> >> The problem is the new Horde/IMP can't use the new database. If I
> >> configure it to use the new database, logins seems to fail. If I change
> >> only the name of the machine for session handling MySQL, it all works
> >> fine, putting session data on the old database.
> >
> > Your database will contain passwords using the old password encryption
> > mechanism. Your MySQL client libraries on your new server will likely
> > be expecting to use the new mechanism.
>
> Thanks for the response. Are you talking about MySQL passwords? I don't
> think that's the case here. My new webmail can use prefs stored in the
> new database just fine. And, it can store sessions because I'm seeing
> them show up in the session database.
>
> To summarize:
>
> The old webmail works fine with the new database. This makes me think
> the new database is set up correctly, the tables are correct, etc.
>
> The new webmail works fine with the old database. This makes me think
> that the new webmail is set up and configured correctly.
>
> The new webmail can use prefs stored in either the old database or the
> new database. However, just for MySQL-based sessions, I can't store the
> session data in the new database. It works fine with sessions stored in
> the old database.
>
> I'm wondering if there is some magic configuration option in MySQL or
> something. Some limit number or option that is required to make sessions
> work when stored in MySQL 5.0 databases.

OK but that wasn't what you said in your original email. You said it
couldn't use the new database.

I guess you will need to look at the horde_sessionhandler table and see
that it is setup correctly and with the correct permissions. Try turning
up debugging and look in your horde log for failed updates to
horde_sessionhandler.