[imp] Attachements from Thunderbird to Imp with french characters

Otto Stolz Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Aug 2 11:11:48 PDT 2006

Hello list,

I had included a picture as yet another test case with my reply,
so it became too large for the list.

Here it is again, without the picture.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:01:17 +0200
Von: Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de>
An: jacques-beaudoin at cspi.qc.ca
CC: IMP HORDE LIST <imp at lists.horde.org>
Referenzen: <20060731133437.2un68ruygwgkkwsk at mail.cspi.qc.ca>
<44CF4A65.8070206 at uni-konstanz.de>
<20060801122913.kqt2gnehw080o4kk at mail.cspi.qc.ca>

Hi Jaques,

you have written:

This is indeed the most recent version.

The name, and filename, parameters comply with RFC 2231
<http://rfc-ref.org/RFC-TEXTS/2231/chapter4.html>.
So, any recent, standard-complying MUA should under-
stand them.

Note however that, according to RFC 2183,
> It is important that the receiving MUA not blindly
> use the suggested filename. The suggested filename
> SHOULD be checked (and possibly changed) to see
> that it conforms to local filesystem conventions,
> does not overwrite an existing file, and does not
> present a security problem

But this certainly does not explain that strange
filename your Imp has proposed, for this example.

Your little test has shown that the problem must be
on the receiving side, as the header lines of your
specimen seem entirely correct to me.

However, I cannot locate your problem any more
precisely. My Imp 3.2.2 installation does not
recognize that filename, at all, and my Imp 4.1.2
test installation recognizes it and proposes
"été.jpg", as expected. So, for these installatíons,
a French filename works as designed.

I'll include another example comprising a German umlaut
with this note, so you have another test case.
Note: "Säule" is a dialect term, meaning "piglet".

Best wishes,
     Otto Stolz