[imp] ****Re: Type of LDAP server used

Alain Fauconnet alain at ait.ac.th
Wed Sep 27 20:33:56 PDT 2006

Craig,
On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 08:11:58PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 09:57 +0700, Alain Fauconnet wrote:
> > [Kind of off-topic]
> > The only issue I've had with OpenLDAP is that the MySQL storage
> > back-end wasn't quite mature when I set it up (PostgreSQL seems
> > better, but we use MySQL here). So I eventually went for the Berkeley
> > DB back-end, which I find much less appealing and has some stability
> > issues. Maybe this could be reconsidered now, I haven't had time to
> > check again.
> > [/off-topic]
> ----
> The openldap developers don't spend any efforts on sql-db backend and I
> am quite certain that they will provide very convincing arguments why
> berkeley db is higher performance and much more stable for ldap purposes
> if you pose the topic on their list.

I wouldn't even dare asking :-) ... I think this topic has come up
many times on their mailing lists anyway.
I'm sure they have good arguments but I can also think of a hundred
reasons why MySQL back-end would be *much* more desirable for us, that
would also apply to many other sites. But
then, I'll shut up until I can contribute more mature MySQL support code for
OpenLDAP :-)

Greets,
_Alain_